The new Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019, not only increased fines for traffic violations but has also introduced several changes to other rules. They include new norms on vehicle recalls, road building and several others. One of the important rules is about getting a new driving licence or renewing one.
* The validity of licence for driving transport vehicles will be five years
* The licence for driving a hazardous vehicle will be valid for three years
* For non-transport vehicles, the licence validity will be:
a) If you are taking a licence before 30 years of age, the validity will be until 40
b) For those between 30 and 50 years, the licence validity will be 10 years
c) For those between 50 and 55, the validity will be until they reach 60
d) For those above 55, the validity will be five years
* The one-month grace period after the expiry of licence has been scrapped; which means the licence becomes invalid the day it expires.
* The licence can be renewed a year in advance
* If a year has passed after the expiry of the licence, one needs to take the driving test afresh
* The motor vehicles department is planning to make licence renewal process online