Massive fire guts textile shop in Alappuzha's Cherthala

The entire shop was destroyed by the fire, which started on the first floor. Photo: Manorama

Alappuzha: A huge fire broke out in a garment store on Nadakavu Road in Cherthala here early on Sunday, resulting in the loss of merchandise worth lakhs of rupees.

‘Damodara Pai & Sons’ was completely gutted in the inferno, which started on the first floor. Nine fire tender units took approximately four hours to fully extinguish the flames.

Fire rescue units from Cherthala, Alappuzha, Vaikom and Aroor are trying to douse the fire. Photo: Manorama

“The massive fire broke out at 3.35 am. Nine units from Cherthala, Alappuzha, Aroor, Mattancherry, Gandhi Nagar, and Vaikom stations were pressed into service. Finally, we managed to douse the flames completely by 9.40 am,” said a senior Fire officer.

A security staff of a nearby bank first noticed the fire and informed the Fire officials. A short circuit is believed to have caused the fire. The timely act by Fire Force officials prevented it from spreading into nearby shops.

“We’re yet to arrive at the final loss figure. The textile shop had stored up large stock ahead of the Onam season, which was completely gutted. We suspect short-circuit to be the reason behind the fire. A probe is on,” the officer said.

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.