Thodupuzha: Several cases of fields and houses catching fire have been reported from in and around Thodupuzha over the last two weeks. The fire force had to arrive to extinguish the fires in some of these cases.
Almost half-an acre of land at Karimanoor was completely gutted in fire recently. The fire force and local people doused the fire.
It was alleged that many of these accidents were caused by carelessness on the part of the people. Fire Force has issued warning to residents to be on alert to prevent blazes.
1. Fire accidents tend to occur when the fires lit for burning agricultural wastes and other purposes are not properly put out. Such accidents can be easily averted with a little caution. Ensure that when waste is burned, fire does not spread.
2. Smouldering firewood and cigarette butts should not be casually thrown away. When lamps, candles, etc are lit, ensure that they don't topple and spread fire.
3. Exercise caution to prevent sparks from welding, grinding or running vehicles do not cause fire.
4. Weeds and grasses must be regularly cut and cleared in large plantations to avoid the risk of fire spreading.
5. There have been reports of fire breaking out from the sparks on electric lines. The KSEB authorities must be alerted if any tree branches are found to be touching the electric lines and precautionary measures be taken.
6. It was suspected that anti-social elements were behind most of the fire incidents in the forest regions. Instructions have been issued to be cautious against this.