Kozhikode: The Kerala government has withdrawn a directive that mandated certificate numbers should be included while applying for plus-one admission in state.
The directive was withdrawn after the teachers' outfits complained. The numbers had to be given for certificates such as the NCC and scouts.
Higher Secondary Joint Director Dr P P Prakashan said that only the certificates names need to be mentioned in the applications.
As many as 2.5 lakh students had submitted applications on the first two days after the admission process was started. However, the directive on entering the certificate numbers came after this. Those who had already completed the admission process could add the certificate numbers only after the trial allotment. This had caused apprehension among both students and parents. The teachers' outfits then submitted a memorandum against the decision.
The higher secondary department explained that the directive was given as it would be difficult to submit the copies of certificates amid the COVID-19 crisis. But the teachers' outfits pointed out that certificates such as the scouts are not given any numbers. Then the single-window system was modified and an option was given for the applicants to enter the name of the certificates.
“Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the deadline for submitting the applications was extended till August 14. Still the students are showing undue rush and this has led to network problems. Just two days after the admission process was started, only 2 lakh students are left to apply," said Dr P P Prakashan.
Meanwhile, complaints have been raised that issues got aggravated as the meetings of higher secondary IT coordinators could not be held.