The option selection for engineering and pharmacy degree courses will start on October 6 and end on October 10.
Select an option with extreme care. Parents must also participate in the decision-making process.
If you give the option of paying an unaffordable fee in the beginning itself, you will find things difficult later. Trial allotment should be studied carefully and changes should be made if necessary.
Last year, those who secured ranks up to 45,000 were selected. But do not take comfort from this because the choice of college is also very important.
Although all colleges will have the necessary accreditation and approvals, the quality of education and the fees to be paid may vary. Keep track of all the new notifications from the Entrance Commissioner published in papers and on the website.
Those who have blocked the result can also give their option. But whatever the shortcomings, they must be rectified by 3 pm on October 4. Options for architecture and medical/allied courses will be provided later.
The submission of options for admission in engineering and pharmacy degree programmes in Kerala can be done till 10 am on October 6. Submitting online the preferences of courses and colleges is also crucial. Submit carefully the ones that would be most suitable to you based on your own rank and chances of admission.
You can look at the final ranks that got selected in 2019 by accessing the ‘KEAM Candidate Portal’ link at www.cee.kerala.gov.in. If you stick to only a few good options, it is possible that you may not get anything. Options that are possible for lower ranks should also be submitted.
On the flip side, even if there are seats in eligible course-college combinations, you will not get admission if the option is not submitted.
The details of fees for various categories of institutions such as government/self-financing colleges have been given in a notification issued on September 30. There is a difference in seat allocation and fee rates between government and self-financed engineering colleges.
While giving the option
Try to obtain as much information as possible about the content of courses, job prospects after four years, the standard of colleges, etc. There are 31 branches in engineering.
The options that are first added to the site can be revised as many times as you want.
There are different rank lists for engineering and pharmacy. Those who want to choose only one should add the options accordingly. For those who are trying to combine the two, the options can be mixed.
Steps to enter the options
• Familiarise yourself with the codes of courses and institutions. The codes for the engineering courses are outlined on page 74 of the prospectus. College codes are also provided in the prospectus. The course code will have two letters and there are three letters for college code. For example, CE - computer science and engineering; BP - BPharm; TVE - College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram; KKB - College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kozhikode.
• You will be able to register the option only for the branches you will be eligible for as per the rank list. A combination of a course and a college makes one option. Although the combinations EE -TCR and CH- TCR are for the same college, they will constitute two different options.
• You can give the option based on your rank, interests, job prospects, fees and the standard and reputation of institutions.
• Keep your roll number (six digits), application number (seven digits) and password used for online application submission safely.
• You can go to the option registration page by selecting the option registration link on the KEAM candidate portal of the website www.cee.kerala.gov.in.
• You will be able to see the options that are available. You just have to select the combination. Type the option numbers in the box next to the respective options. Type and save your preferred numbers (1, 2, 3, ....) against each course-college combination (for eg, IT-PKD).
• You can click on the save button from time to time to save the options. You can take a print of the option list after adding all the necessary information for safe-keeping.
• To cancel or modify the option once given, you can go to the site, click on the delete button and save it. Edit the numbers to change the order of preference and save it.
• The trial allotment will be published on October 3. The option order can be changed by looking at the trial allotment.
• Once you get any higher option that is allowed, you will not be able to change to lower options.
• Government seats and management seats in government-run self-financing colleges should be treated as separate options. The selection of management seats with higher fees is also available through the options. The fees for government seats in private self-financing colleges will vary. Note that the difference in fees for food technology courses at three universities can be up to nine times.
• The allotment of options available to each individual will be allowed after the last day for submission. The selection list based on the allotment will be available on the website at 9 pm on October 7. Fees can be paid at post offices or online from October 8 till 3 pm on October 10.
• Once an option from your preferences is granted, all the options below it will automatically disappear. For example, suppose a person who has submitted 80 options is given the 15th option, then options from 16 to 80 will be automatically cancelled. Those who have paid the fees will have the opportunity to change the order of options at hand and cancel the unwanted ones.
• Now comes the second allotment. The number of candidates will reduce due to non-payment of fees. Those eligible will be given the chance to select seats in higher options that have fallen vacant as result. Accordingly, you may sometimes have to pay a higher fee. If the amount paid earlier is higher, the excess amount will be refunded after the admission process is completed. Some who were not on the first list will get a new selection. This will continue until the admission process is complete.15. You can join the college as per the allotment on the specified day with the original documents.
• After the first allotment, those with higher options to consider the next time should go to the home page and click on the confirm button. Only after confirming in this way can you cancel or change the preference of existing higher options. Those who do not confirm will lose the higher options. They will not be considered in the next allotment. However, the option that they have got will remain. This provision will also apply to subsequent allotments. (Prospectus: 11.6.4)
• Details of option facilitation centres and post offices for payments can be found on the website. Those who find it difficult to submit an option themselves can use the services of the facilitation centres for free. There is a link on the ‘Candidate’ portal to reset forgotten passwords.
October 3: Trial Allotment
October 6: Giving options till 10 am.
October 7: First allotment at 9 pm
October 8-10: Fee payment, till 3 pm on Oct 10