India's first COVID-19 death confirmed in Karnataka

India under COVID-19 lockdown as positive cases rise to 68
HP police personnel wear masks during a cricket practice session on the eve of ODI match between India and South Africa at HPCA Stadium, in Dharamshala, Wednesday. Photo: PTI
SHARE

Bengaluru: A 76-year-old man who died two days ago in Karnataka while being treated for suspected coronavirus has become India's first COVID-19 fatality with his samples taken earlier confirming the infection, the state government said on Thursday.

State Health Minister B Sriramulu in a tweet late Thursday said the necessary contact tracing, isolation and other measures as per protocol were being taken.

The man, who recently returned from Saudi Arabia, had died on Tuesday night.

Earlier in the day, a 26-year-old man who returned from Greece had also tested positive for coronavirus in Karnataka.

The patient has been admitted and isolated at a hospital and his condition is stable.

India under COVID-19 lockdown as positive cases rise to 68
Students wearing protective masks are given awareness on coronavirus prevention, at a city school in Kolkata, Wednesday. Photo: PTI

The number of positive cases in India soared to 76, with authorities taking emergency measures to contain its spread like shutting down schools, colleges and cinema halls in the national capital and some other places.

Fourteen fresh cases have been reported from several states, including nine from Maharashtra, the Union health ministry said on Thursday.

As the Centre and the states ramped up their efforts to tackle novel coronavirus, which has claimed at least 4,600 lives globally and affected nearly 125,293, Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked the countrymen not to panic and asserted that the government was fully vigilant.

Apart from directing the Union ministers not to travel abroad in the upcoming days, Modi also urged people to avoid non-essential travel, saying,"we can break the chain of spread and ensure safety of all by avoiding large gatherings."

A day after it suspended all visas, except a few categories such as diplomatic and employment, till April 15, the government also announced that three planes will be sent in the next three days to bring back Indians stranded in Iran, one of the worst coronavirus-hit country.

India under COVID-19 lockdown as positive cases rise to 68
Commuters wears protective masks in wake of the deadly coronavirus, at a railway station in Bengaluru, Wednesday. Photo: PTI

Asking people not to panic, the Union health ministry said no community transmission of the virus has been observed and there has only been cases of local transmission so far.

With the novel coronavirus being declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation, Raman R Gangakhedkar, the head of the Epidemiology and Communicable Diseases-I, a division of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), said even though the virus is difficult to isolate, scientists at the National Institute of Virology in Pune have been successful in finding about 11 isolates, but developing a vaccine will take at least one-and-a-half to two years.

The total number of patients in India includes 16 Italians and one Canadian. The figure is inclusive of three patients from Kerala who were discharged last month following recovery.

Giving a state-wise breakup, the ministry said Delhi reported six positive cases and Uttar Pradesh 10. Karnataka has four cases, Maharashtra 11 and Ladakh three.

Rajasthan, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh and Punjab have reported one case each. Kerala has recorded 19 cases, including three patients who were discharged last month.

India under COVID-19 lockdown as positive cases rise to 68
People wear protective masks outside a Special Isolation Ward set up to provide treatment to novel coronavirus patients, at Kochi Medical College, in Kochi, Tuesday. Photo: PTI

Meanwhile, the Delhi government declared coronavirus an epidemic and said all those schools and colleges where exams are over should be shut down as also cinema halls till March 31.

The decision was taken at a high-level meeting attended by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, LG Anil Baijal and top government officials.

Disinfecting all public places, including government and private offices and shopping malls has been made compulsory, Kejriwal said.

Uttarakhand and Manipur governments also announced closure of schools till March 31.

On its part, defence ministry has set up seven more quarantine facilities, especially for Indian citizens being brought to back from the coronavirus-hit countries, an official said. The facilities have been set up at Jaisalmer, Suratgadh, Jhansi, Jodhpur, Deolali, Kolkata and Chennai.

The Army is already operating a quarantine facility in Manesar while the one in Hindon, near Ghaziabad, is being operated by the air force.

Asserting that the focus is on preventive approach, and adequate testing facilities have been made available, Aggarwal said India presently has around 1 lakh testing kits and more testing kits have been ordered.

About evacuation measures undertaken so far, Aggarwal said till now, India has evacuated 948 people from the coronavirus-affected countries.

Of these, 900 were Indians and 48 belonged to different nationalities including from the Maldives, Myanmar, Bangladesh, China, the USA, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Nepal, South Africa and Peru, he said.

Meanwhile, the External Affairs Ministry has advised against holding this year's IPL edition in wake of the coronavirus scare, but left it to the organisers to take a final call on it.

COVID-19, which stands for Coronavirus Disease 2019, is the name of the disease caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2. SARS-CoV-2 belongs to the Coronavirus family with crown-shaped spikes on its surfaces. The name of the disease was given by the World Health Organisation.

MORE IN NATION
SHOW MORE