Hello listener, this is your daily dose of news from Onmanorama. Tune in to get updated about the major news stories of the day.
Hello listener, this is your daily dose of news from Onmanorama. I'm your host, Gopika KP. These are the major news stories of the day
1. Explosions heard in Kyiv on Day 2 of Russian assault in Ukraine
2. Kerala mulls cancelling annual exams for primary school students
3. Kerala's first Caravan Park opens to public today
4. With Renu Raj in Alappuzha, 10 out of 14 Kerala districts to be steered by women IAS officers
5. UNSC to vote on resolution condemning Russian invasion in Ukraine
Let’s get into the details.
1) Explosions were heard in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv early Friday as Russian forces pressed on with a full-scale invasion that resulted in the deaths of more than 100 Ukrainians in the first full day of fighting and could eventually rewrite the global post-Cold War security order. After using airstrikes on cities and military bases, Russian military units moved swiftly to take on Ukraine's seat of government and its largest city in what U.S. officials suspect is a brazen attempt by Russian
President Vladimir Putin to dismantle the government and replace it with his own regime.
2) The Kerala Government is considering to do away with annual examinations this year for primary school students enrolled in state-run institutions. In such a case, the grading method based on work sheet exercises may be used for evaluation of students up to Standard 4. This method was followed last academic year when the annual exams were not held owing to COVID-19 pandemic.
3) The first Caravan Park in Kerala was inaugurated by State Tourism Minister PA Mohammed Riyas in Vagamon in Idukki district on Friday. Caravan Meadows, which has come up in Nallathanni on the Vagamon-Elappara Road, is a project of the ADRAK Group. There is parking space for two caravans at the park. In the beginning, one caravan will be made operational.
4) For the first time in the history of Kerala, 10 out of its 14 districts in the state would be helmed by women IAS officers. Dr Renu Raj, IAS, is set to take charge as the Alappuzha District Collector
on March 2. Dr Renu Raj succeeds A Alexander, the incumbent Alappuzha District Collector. This is her maiden posting as District Collector. She was earlier the sub-collector of Devikulam. The 10 Women District Collectors are
1. Bhandari Swagat Ranveerchand - Kasaragod
2. A Geetha - Wayanad
3. Mrunmai Joshi - Palakkad
4. Haritha V Kumar - Thrissur
5. Dr P K Jayasree – Kottayam
6. Sheeba George - Idukki
7. Dr Divya S Iyer - Pathanamthitta
8. Afsana Parveen -Kollam
9. Dr Navjot Khosa - Thiruvananthapuram.
10. Dr Renu Raj - Alapphuza (to take charge soon)
5) The UN Security Council will vote on a draft resolution on Friday tabled by the US and Albania that will condemn in the strongest terms possible Russia's aggression, invasion and violation of
Ukraine's sovereignty, a move that seeks to isolate permanent and veto wielding member Moscow on the global stage after Russian President Vladimir Putin's decision to attack its neighbour.
Now, let’s check out the covid update
6) India logged 13,166 new coronavirus infections, taking the total tally of COVID-19 cases to 4,28,94,345, while the active cases declined to 1,34,235, according to the Union Health Ministry data. The death toll climbed to 5,13,226 with 302 fresh fatalities, the data updated at 8 am stated.
That brings us to the end of this episode! Be sure to come back tomorrow. As always, thanks for listening to Daily News Dose.