Ebola outbreak: The one and only case in India; and what experts say
The WHO declared the Ebola outbreak in Uganda and Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, with nearly 90 deaths, but not a pandemic, advising countries to strengthen surveillance.
The WHO declared the Ebola outbreak in Uganda and Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, with nearly 90 deaths, but not a pandemic, advising countries to strengthen surveillance.
The WHO declared the Ebola outbreak in Uganda and Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, with nearly 90 deaths, but not a pandemic, advising countries to strengthen surveillance.
The World Health Organisation on Sunday declared the Ebola virus outbreak in Africa's Uganda and Congo as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC). So far, nearly 90 people have reportedly lost their lives, and more than 2,500 are affected. The virus is said to have originated in the Democratic Republic of Congo's Ituri province, and has the rare Bundibuyo strain of the Ebola virus, which doesn't have a vaccine at the moment. The WHO said the outbreak doesn't qualify as a pandemic and has not advised countries to close borders or restrict trade.
India's only case
It was in 2014 that India had an Ebola virus case, and it was also the only case the country ever had. The National Centre for Disease Control is also closely monitoring the current situation. Health experts, according to a report in the Times of India, said the risk was usually low for countries like India, unless there was considerable international travel from Ebola-affected regions.
During outbreaks similar to the current one, international passengers from such regions are also screened closely. The WHO has also advised countries to strengthen surveillance, testing and rapid response systems.
Americans exposed to the virus
Reuters reports that a number of Americans who are in Congo are believed to have been exposed to the Ebola virus. A few of them are also deemed to have high-risk exposures, and one of them has also developed symptoms. The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention also said it has mobilised response efforts to evacuate the directly affected nationals. CBS News has reported that at least six US citizens were exposed to the virus. Recently, the US health authorities had also issued a travel warning after the rapid spread of the virus was reported.