Unnao rape survivor's condition improves, accused Sengar to be shifted to Tihar jail

Kuldeep Singh Sengar
Unnao rape-accused Uttar Pradesh MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar.

New Delhi: A Delhi court directed on Monday that expelled BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar, accused of raping a minor girl at his residence in Unnao in 2017, be shifted to Tihar jail here from Sitapur prison in Uttar Pradesh.

Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma put up the matter for argument on charges in the gang rape -- one of the four related cases transferred to Delhi -- for August 7.

The case was shifted to the Tiz Hazari court in Delhi to allay fears that it will be misled by the political influence of the accused. Both Sengar and his accomplice Shashi Singh, were produced in the court in compliance with an order by District judge Dinesh Sharma here. The court has also directed to shift Singh to Tihar jail.

Sengar was expelled from the BJP last week. Before being shifted to Delhi, Sengar was grilled for several hours by a three-member-CBI team at the Sitapur jail.

The case pertains to the rape of a minor girl allegedly by the lawmaker at his residence in Unnao on June 4, 2017, where she had gone to seek a job. Accused Shashi Singh had allegedly lured the rape survivor into going to Sengar's residence.

The case came to light when the survivor attempted to immolate herself in front of UP Chief Minister's residence in April, 2018. Her father who was jailed in connection with an Arms Act case later died in custody, allegedly after being assaulted by the MLA's brother and his goons.

Sengar was arrested and kept in judicial custody in April 2018 on orders given by suo moto cognizance taken by Allahabad High Court.

A few days earlier, Sengar and nine others were booked for murder by the CBI after the rape survivor and her advocate were injured when a truck hit their car in Rae Bareli. Her two aunts were killed in the accident. The rape survivor's family alleged foul play.

Health condition improves

An hour after the Supreme Court ordered that the Unnao rape survivor be shifted to Delhi for treatment, the King George's Medical University (KGMU) issued a statement saying that her health condition was improving.

However, there is no improvement in the condition of her lawyer Mahendra Singh, who is still in a deep coma.

"There is an improvement in the condition of the female patient. She is following commands and opening her eyes. Her fever is also subsiding. Preparations to take her off the ventilator are underway," KGMU said in a statement.

"However, we still have to medicate her to maintain her blood pressure," it added.

The Unnao rape survivor and her lawyer are being treated at the Trauma Centre of the KGMU in Lucknow after they sustained serious injuries in an accident on July 28.

The statement further said that the condition of the two patients is 'critical but stable'.

The doctors, meanwhile, said they had no information about when the rape survivor would be airlifted to Delhi.

The 19-year-old rape survivor, who was on ventilator support, remained critical for days after the accident as she has developed pneumonia. According to a Supreme Court order, the CRPF personnel have been given charge of the security of the survivor and her lawyer.

(With inputs from PTI and IANS.)

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.