Hello listener, this is your daily dose of news from Onmanorama. Tune in to get updated about the major news stories of the day.
Hello listener, this is your daily dose of news from Onmanorama. I'm your host, Gopika KP. These are the major news stories of the day
1. Russia says, it is working on providing safe passage to Indians from conflict zones in Ukraine
2. Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan urges trade unions to mend its ways
3. SC grants bail to Kiran Kumar in Vismaya case
4. Petrol, diesel price hikes to restart from next week
5. Kerala HC upholds Centre's ban on Media One, says there are aspects which affect public order
Let’s get into the details.
1) Russia on Wednesday said it is working "intensely" to create a "humanitarian corridor" for safe passage to Russian territory of Indians stuck in Kharkiv, Sumy and other conflict zones in Ukraine.
At a media briefing, Russian Ambassador-designate Denis Alipov said Russia is in touch with India on the issue of safety of Indians and that the safe passage will be put into place "as soon as possible.
2) Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Wednesday denounced the unhealthy practices in the trade union sector. Of late high-handedness by trade union activists have resulted in the closure of several business enterprises. The chief minister lashed out at such practices while presenting the vision document on Kerala’s development at the CPM State Conference in Ernakulam.
3) Kiran Kumar, husband of Vismaya V Nair who took her own life in June 2021 over dowry harassment, has been granted bail by the Supreme Court.
The bail plea was allowed as the trial in the case has reached the lap at the Judicial First-Class Magistrate Court at Sasthamcotta in Kollam district.
Kiran who was remanded in custody by the local court earlier has been lodged in the Kottarakkara sub-jail ever since his arrest a year ago.
4) Petrol and diesel price hikes are likely to resume after state elections get over next week to bridge the Rs 9 a litre gap created by international oil prices soaring past 100 dollar a barrel.
International crude oil prices shot above 110 dollar a barrel for the first time since mid-2014 on fears that oil and gas supplies from energy giant Russia could be disrupted, either by the conflict in Ukraine or retaliatory western sanctions.
5) The Kerala High Court on Wednesday upheld the Centre's decision to deny security clearance to Malayalam news channel Media One saying it was of the view there were certain aspects, in the intelligence reports about the channel, which affect public order or national security.
The court said it went through the files, placed before it by the Ministry of Home Affairs, and found that in relation to the application for uplinking and downlinking permissions for 'Media One Life' and 'Media One Global', "certain aspects relating to the security of the state are mentioned to the effect that Madhyamam Broadcasting Ltd has some linkages with certain undesirable forces, which is stated to be a security threat".
Madhyamam Broadcasting Ltd, which operates Media One, had claimed in its appeal that it has been "victimised" for fair and genuine news reporting.
Now, let’s check out the covid update
6) India logged 7,554 new coronavirus infections, taking the total tally of COVID-19 cases to 4,29,38,599, while the active cases dipped to 85,680.
The death toll climbed to 5,14,246 with 223 fresh fatalities, according to the Union Health Ministry data updated at 8 am.
The daily positivity rate was recorded as 0.96 per cent while the weekly positivity rate was recorded as 1.06 per cent.
That brings us to the end of this episode! Be sure to come back tomorrow. As always, thanks for listening to Daily News Dose.