Dog lover who fed strays dies of rabies; scratches on hand proved fatal

Representational Image (left) and Stephin V Pereira (right). Photo: Manorama

Chirayinkeezhu (Thiruvananthapuram): Amid concerns over stray dog menace, rabies cases are also being reported from across Kerala. The latest casualty is a 49-year-old dog lover who used to feed strays.

Stephin V Pereira died of rabies last Sunday after suffering scratches from the nails of a dog while she was feeding stray dogs. She was a native of the coastal village of Anchuthengu, about 20 km west of Chirayinkeezhu, in Thiruvananthapuram district.

Stephin developed rabies symptoms on June 9 while taking care of her brother at the Medical College Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram. When doctors enquired about the likely causes, she revealed that one of the stray dogs whom she was feeding had scratched her hand.

Though was soon admitted for treatment she died on last Sunday evening. The funeral was conducted later.

Her brother, Charles, was staying alone at their ancestral house at Anjuthengu. He was admitted to hospital on June 7. Henry, Ferion, and the late Mathew are her other siblings.

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.