Becker pleads not guilty over failing to return Grand Slam trophies: report

Boris Becker
German tennis great Boris Becker. File photo: Reuters
SHARE

German tennis great Boris Becker pleaded not guilty on Thursday to charges that he had failed to hand over his Grand Slam trophies in order to settle his debts, the Press Association reported.

Becker, who was declared bankrupt in June, 2017, is also accused of not complying with obligation to disclose information.

Becker, 52, pleaded not guilty to all the charges brought by the Insolvency Service when he made a 45-minute appearance at Southwark Crown Court in London, the report said.

A 28-count indictment includes failing to hand over a silverware trophy from his maiden Wimbledon triumph in 1985 when he became the youngest men's champion at the All England Club at the age of 17.

Six-time Grand Slam winner Becker is also accused of concealing the 1989 Wimbledon trophy and his Australian Open trophies from 1991 and 1996.

He was told his trial would be listed to take place in September, 2021.

Earlier on Thursday, Becker said in an Instagram post: "What defines us is how well we rise after falling."

Former world No. 1 Becker won Wimbledon three times and finished his career with 49 singles titles.

He was the first German to claim the men's singles crown at Wimbledon and the first non-seeded player to win the grasscourt major.

MORE IN TENNIS
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.