How to rein in your household expenses in these hard times? Here's a cheat sheet from a housewife from Nellikkunnu near Thrissur.
E G Asha has a seven-point agenda to keep expenses under a tight lid.
1. Pay by online wallets such as Paytm, Google Pay and Amazon Pay when you go to supermarkets and such places. Most of these online wallets will make you eligible for cashback offers. If you use them wisely, your next shopping outing will be cheaper.
2. Do not forget to switch off electrical and electronic equipment when not in use. Put out the lights and fans whenever you leave a room in summer.
3. Pay your monthly bills on time to avoid late fees and fines. You can use online banking facilities and ECS facilities to pay your bills from home.
4. If you clean your gas stove at regular intervals, you can save on cooking gas and money. You can also improve energy efficiency by switching to LED lamps and cleaning all lamps at proper intervals.
5. If you do not mind the hassle, you can avail of your share of the public distribution system and cut your grocery shopping bills.
6. Send your children to government schools with a good track record. It will have a tremendous impact on your family budget.
7. Go to a government hospital when in need. You will be assured of quality health care and free medicines and other facilities.