Nihang surrenders after man lynched at Singhu border for 'desecrating' holy book

A security person keeps vigil at Singhu Border near the site of the farmers' protest. Photo: PTI

Singhu border/Chandigarh: A man was lynched, his hand chopped off and the body bearing over 10 wounds caused by sharp-edged weapons tied to a barricade at a farmers' protest site at Kundli near the Delhi-Haryana border, a gruesome incident being blamed on a group of Nihangs.

Hours after the macabre crime, a man wearing the blue robes of the Sikhs' Nihang order appeared before the media, claiming that he had "punished" the victim for "desecrating" a Sikh holy book.

Other Nihangs claimed he had "surrendered" to police, while police said that the man had been arrested and was being questioned.

"Sarabjit Singh, the son of Kashmir Singh, a resident of Vitwha in Punjab's Gurdaspur district has been arrested," a police official said.

He said that during preliminary questioning, Sarabjit had claimed he could not tolerate "desecration of the holy book".

Before his "surrender", the Nihangs gave Sarabjit with a robe of honour, saying he had punished the man for alleged desecration of the holy book.

He will be produced before a court in Sonipat on Saturday.

Samyukt Kisan Morcha leader Jagjit Singh Dallewal addresses the media during a press conference at Singhu border in New Delhi. Photo: PTI

Earlier in the day, in a video clip that surfaced on social media, some Nihangs are seen standing around the injured man with his severed left hand close to his head. The group is heard accusing him of desecrating a Sikh holy book.

The video shows the Nihang group asking the badly injured man, who is pleading with them in Punjabi, where he had come from and who sent him.

One of the Nihangs says the man is a "Punjabi" and not an outsider, and it should not be made into a Hindu-Sikh issue. Another raises a religious chant.

The Samyukta Kisan Morcha (SKM), an umbrella body of farmer unions, said a group of Nihangs claimed responsibility for the killing after the man allegedly tried to desecrate the Sarbloh Granth.

Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar held a meeting with Home Minister Anil Vij and senior police officers, directing strict action against those found guilty.

The victim, Lakhbir Singh, was a labourer from Cheema Khurd village in Punjab's Tarn Taran and aged around 35 years, police said.

His body was found tied to an overturned police barricade near a dais put up by the farmers protesting there for several months now over the Centre's three agri-marketing laws.

"The Kundli police station received information at 5am that a body was found near the farmers' protest site," a Sonipat police official said.

A Haryana Police spokesperson said in Chandigarh that by the time the Sonipat police reached, the spot the man had died.

"Some people were standing there. When police tried to take the body away, they protested. After some efforts, the body was brought to the civil hospital," the spokesperson said.

Singh was found wearing only a pair of shorts. His hand was cut off at the wrist and a foot bore deep injuries. Altogether, there were over 10 injury marks inflicted by sharp-edged weapons.

He was allegedly dragged by his assailants for a few metres before he was strung with ropes to the barricade. He is said to have bled to death.

"We have registered a case and further investigations are on," Additional Director General of Police, Rohtak Range, Sandeep Khirwar told PTI over the phone.

Back in his Tarn Taran village, Singh's family was in shock and said he could never desecrate a holy book.

Some villagers told reporters that his parents died a few years ago and his wife and three children stayed with some relatives. He was said to be staying with his sister.

The Sonipat police said some people initially resisted their entry into the area where the body was tied to the barricade, and were not cooperating with them.

The Nihangs are a Sikh order, distinguished by their blue robes and often seen carrying spears and swords.

Last year, a Punjab policeman's hand was chopped off with a sword and his six colleagues injured in an attack allegedly by a group of Nihangs at a village market in Patiala when the accused were asked to produce curfew passes.

The policeman's hand was later reattached after a surgery at the PGIMER in Chandigarh.

A case of murder was registered at the Kundli police station in Sonipat against unidentified people, police said. A board of doctors conducted the post-mortem at the Sonipat civil hospital.

At least five video clips connected with the murder have surfaced on social media.

In a statement, the SKM said it wanted to make it clear that "both the parties to the incident", the Nihang group and the victim, have no relation with the Morcha.

The peaceful and democratic movement of the farmers is opposed to violence in any form, it added.

The SKM said it is against the desecration of any religious text or symbol, but that does not give anyone the right to take the law into their own hands.

It demanded that the culprits be punished in accordance with the law after investigating the allegation of murder and the "conspiracy" behind the "sacrilege".

"As always, the Samyukta Kisan Morcha will cooperate with the police and the administration in any lawful action," it added.

Farmer leader Abhimanyu Kohar told PTI that the Nihangs were not part of the SKM's protests and claimed that the victim had been staying with the same group for some time.

In a video message, Yogendra Yadav, condemned the incident and said several SKM leaders had asked the Nihangs to leave the site, but they stayed put.

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.