Follow Us Facebook WhatsApp Google Profile links

New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Friday registered an FIR in connection with pellet injuries suffered by a 19-year-old youth during a July 20 protest organised by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) at Jantar Mantar.

The development came after Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi staged a more than five-hour dharna at the Parliament Street police station, demanding that an FIR be registered in connection with the injuries suffered by Sahil Lochab during the protest.

"We have registered an FIR under Sections 118 (voluntarily causing hurt or grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means) and 25 (act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the BNS," a police officer said.

After the FIR was registered, NSUI workers gathered outside the police station to celebrate. The gathering later led to clashes between the students and police.

Police personnel attempted to clear the students from outside the station, leading to scuffles and clashes. NSUI workers alleged that male police officers were deployed to remove women workers from the spot.

The police subsequently took some of the protesters into custody. Officials said the situation has since been brought under control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier, Rahul, accompanied by Lochab, first visited the Mandir Marg police station and sought registration of the FIR. After his demand was not accepted, he proceeded to the Parliament Street police station and met Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi district) Sachin Sharma.

The meeting failed to resolve the issue, following which Rahul began a dharna at the police station, which also houses the DCP's office. Lochab and his mother were also present. Congress MP Priyanka Gandhi Vadra and other senior party leaders later joined the protest.

During his protest, Rahul Gandhi also targeted Union Home Minister Amit Shah, alleging that the minister was afraid of justice.

Meanwhile, AICC general secretary KC Venugopal alleged that Amit Shah had directed the Delhi Police not to register an FIR. "The police did not refuse to register the case on their own. We spoke to the police officers over the phone, and it became clear that they had been instructed from above not to register the case. They would not name the person who had issued the instruction, but it is clear that the direction came from Amit Shah," he alleged.