Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) violations came into prominence in Kerala after the Supreme Court ordered to demolish four apartment complexes in Maradu municipality, bordering Kochi Corporation, recently.
The court had directed the state government, in no uncertain terms, to pull down the buildings that violated CRZ rules.
At present, four water-front apartments are facing demolition threat. They are: 18-storey Holy Faith H2O, 16-storey Alpha Serene, 16-storey Golden Kayaloram and 16-storey Jains Coral Cove.
The cacophony around the demolition, however, has submerged the other 61 major CRZ violations by private companies and individuals. These violations were unearthed by the Kerala Coastal Zone Management Authority (KCZMA), the agency to implement CRZ norms.
The list was prepared by the agency to answer a question raised in the Lok Sabha.
Onmanorama has accessed the list.
According to it, 60 private companies and five individuals have violated the CRZ rules in seven coastal districts.
With 24 violations, Ernakulam topped the list. It was followed by Thiruvananthapuram (14), Kannur (7), Kollam (6), Kozhikode (4), Alappuzha (3) and Kasaragod (2).
Apart from the four buildings in Maradu, the list contains the name of Holiday Heritage, which is yet to be constructed.
The KCZMA had found violations committed by non-resident Indian businessman MA Yousuffali and Sabura Yousuffali, Thomas Cleoplus, Bindhu Sunil, MA Babu Moopan, MM Martin and CJ Roy of Confident Group and Raviz group in Kollam.
It also detected violations by government agencies - a bund construction by Kerala Land Development Corporation in Kollam and Tourism department's boat club in Thiruvananthapuram.
This Google Map shows 38 CRZ violations:
Here is the district-wise list of violations by private companies and owners, prepared by the Kerala Costal Zone Management Authority:
1. Galaxy Regent, apartment building, Elamkulam
2. Heera Waters, apartment building, Elamkulam
3. Jewel Homes, apartment building, Poonithuram
4. Soni Buildcon (P) limited, commercial building, Elamkulam
5. M A Yousuffali and Sabura Yousuffalia, commercial building, Ernakulam
6. Adele Builders and Developers, Poonithura
7. Cyril Paul and Nisha C Paul, Elamkulam
8. Galaxy Cliffort, commercial building, Elamkulam
9. M C Basil, Abad Lotus Lake, commercial building, Elamkulam
10. Golden Kayaloram, commercial building, Maradu
11. 15 Liliput Seaface Resort, Pallipuram
12. Unauthorised building owned by Muhammed Ali Khoori, Kuzhippally
13. Construction of flat by Alfa Ventures in Maradu
14. Construction of flat by Jain Housing and Construction, Maradu
15. Construction of flat by Holy Faith Builders, Maradu
16. Construction of flat by Holiday Heritage in Maradu
17. Construction work at the Kent Bay Warch Water Front Luxury Apartments, Edakochi
18. Construction of Residential apartment by Choice Marina, Rameswaram Village, Kochi
19. Crowne Plaza, Maradu
20. Ambady Retreats, Ernakulam, Ernakulam
21.Ambady Retreats, Adukkala restaurant, Ernakulam
22. Pearls Gardens, Ernakulam
23. Blue Lagoon Buildings, Water front Enclave, Ernakulam
24. Resort building by Maggi Davis, Angamaly
25. Smudradara Hotel, Vizhinjam
26. Construction of beach resort by Natarajan (Pappukkutty Beach Resort, Kovalam
27. Construction of beach resort by Sajeevkumar PS and Hotel Soorya Beach Resort at Kovalam
28. Construction of beach resort by Rema Devi (Hotel Sea Face), Kovalam
29. Construction of hotel by Syed Muhammed Nisal (Hotel Naza Tourist Inn), Kovalam
30. Construction of beach resort by Purushathaman R (Hotel Pooja Mahal), Kovalam
31. Construction of beach resort by Chandrasekharan (Hotel Sea View Palace) Kovalam
32. Construction of beach resort by Suresh Kumar KG (Hotel Marine Palace), Kovalam
33. Construction of beach resort N Sudhakaran (Jeevan Ayurvedic Beach Resort), Kovalam
34. Construction of beach resort by Andreas Heitman, CEO of Thapovan Heritage Home, Vizhinjam
35. Heera Developers, Akkulam
36. Hotel Vivatnta by Taj, Kovalam
37. Hotel Lake Palace, Kadinamkulam
38. The tourism department boat club in Kappil
39. Zewar construction
40. Safe Home Builders
41. Stay Homes, Valiyaparamba
42. Malabar Builder
43. A new building near United Club and Cliff Road
44. A large hotel construction near to the Military Hospital
45. Searock Resorts
46. Sunthara Beach Resort, Kottukkal
47. Hotel Raviz, Thrikkadavoor
48. All Season Resort, Thrikkadavoor
49. Hotel Fragrant Nature
50. Reclamation of wetland by Syailaka, Kanjavel
51 Bund construction by Kerala Land Development Corporation in Malakayal
52. Beefathima Beevi Trust, Kadalundi
53. Kortih Golf Links Builders, Kozhikode
54. Pentagon Builders, Kozhikode
55. Appollo Builders, Kozhikode
56. Kapico Resorts, Panavally
57. Vasu Coco Resort, Vayalar
58. Prestine Isle Resort, Kodamathuruthu
59. Green Gateway Leisure Limited, Kaikan
60. Hotel Vivanta by Taj, Bekal
61. Thomas Cleoplus, Kalluvila, Thiruvananthapuram
62. Bindhu Sunil Residential Buildings
63. M A Babu Moopan, commercial building
64. M M Martin, residential building
65. C J Roy, Confident Group – Flat
Confident Group denies KCZMA findings
Reacting to the KCZMA findings, Confident Group said it has not constructed any building, violating the Coastal Regulation Zone rules.
The group's Managing Director TA Joseph said his company had, in fact, called off a project in Maradu despite getting permission from the gram panchayat in 2006-2007.
“We received plan approval for a high-end waterfront project, Confident Avior in Maradu, in 2006-2007. After the launch of the project, a lot of incidents happened at Maradu gram panchayat. The panchayat secretary was arrested for bribery and the government revoked all building permits approved during his tenure," the statement read.
He said his company received favourable court order to resume the project. "We have two existing old buildings close to the banks of the Netoor thodu, numbered prior to 1991. However, keeping the criteria stipulated in CRZ rule, we had called off the project just because of insufficient road width in few spots as per the Kerala Municipal Building Rules, as we did not want to take any risk when it concerned our clients. We are still holding it as a land bank," he said.
"Out of 350 units in six acres land, we sold around 65 units within 45 days from the date of launch. We had refunded the entire money with interest which we collected from people who invested in the project," he said.
(This story has been edited to include Confident Group's reaction)