Boy dies imitating hair-straightening act in social media


Thiruvananthapuram: A 12-year-old boy died of burns he sustained while reportedly trying to imitate a hair-straightening act shown in social media, police said on Wednesday.

The deceased was Sivanarayanan of Venganoor .

The seventh standard school student on Tuesday reportedly applied kerosene to his hair and tried to straighten it with a lit matchstick, the police said.

Videos of people straightening hair using spirit and fire had gone viral on social media.

The boy, said to be a social media addict, was taken to the hospital. He died today, the police said.

Only his grandmother was at home when he tried the act in the bathroom, they said.  

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.