Follow Us Facebook WhatsApp Google Profile links

Miami: The US Secret Service said on Sunday that its agents had shot and killed an armed man who breached the security perimeter of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said occurred around 1.30 am (0630 GMT).

Secret Service agents fired at the man after they saw him “unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.

The suspect, a man in his early 20s, “was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the agency said in a statement.

Agents confronted the man and opened fire. No US officers were injured. The agency said no “Secret Service protectees” were present at Mar-a-Lago at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

The individual was pronounced dead.

“The only words that we said to him were ‘drop the items,’ meaning the gas can and the shotgun,” Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw told reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

“At which time he put down the gas can and raised the shotgun to a shooting position,” Bradshaw said. A deputy and two Secret Service agents then shot him.

Trump, who often spends his weekends at Mar-a-Lago, has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the US election, was sentenced to life in prison.

Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.

That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces, and his motive remains unknown.

The incident was the latest in a series of episodes of political violence in a highly polarised country.

The name of the suspect in Sunday’s incident has not been released, as officials attempt to contact his relatives.

Google News Add as a preferred source on Google
Disclaimer: Comments posted here are the sole responsibility of the user and do not reflect the views of Onmanorama. Obscene or offensive remarks against any person, religion, community or nation are punishable under IT rules and may invite legal action.