Paris Olympics to launch streamlined public ticketing, first draw starts Thursday

Paris 2024 mascots
Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic mascots the Phryges. File photo: Reuters/Gonzalo Fuentes/File Photo

The organisers of the Paris 2024 Olympics said they would launch a streamlined public ticketing operation ahead of the event, with the first draw for a total of 10 million tickets for sale starting on December 1 (Thursday).

Anyone in the world can enter the draw which ends on January 31, 2023, and 3 million tickets in packages will effectively be available in February. Tickets will be obtainable from a single platform and will not be available through ticket resellers.

In past Olympics, early morning sessions for some less popular sports struggled to fill the stands leaving many empty seats and the broadcasters unhappy with the TV images.

Half of the tickets will cost 50 euros ($52) or less, while prices for a three-session package start at 72 euros.

The French State has already booked 400,000 of the remaining tickets, which also go to Olympic stakeholders, the official hospitality provider and sponsors, organisers said.

"The fact that you can make your own package is designed to avoid no-shows, which happens after people buy a package for a specific session and are handed with it two sessions they are not interested in," Damien Rajot, head of ticketing, said.

Those packages will represent about 80 per cent of the tickets sold to the public, with the other 20 per cent being sold in May in form of single tickets.

"These tickets will be for the opening and closing ceremonies and the premium sessions, such as the 100 metres finals in athletics and swimming, or the basketball final, for example," Michael Aloisio, chief of staff of Paris 2024 boss Tony Estanguet, said.

The Paris Olympics will be held from July 26-August 11.

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.