The Jain Temple at Palakkad is perhaps the only remaining monument of its kind that depicts the cultural diversity of the district. This historical monument is believed to be over 1500 years old. Two brothers namely Ejjanna and Payappa Shetty, who hailed from Mysore, are credited for building this place of worship. Diamond merchants had seemingly settled down at this location because of its cozy climatic conditions. More than 400 Jain families once used to live here and the entire area was known as Manikyapattanam and Muthupattanam. An elaborate chariot festival used to be held here in its golden days. The Jain temple is known for its architectural splendor. The legacy of this temple, which has 24 wells, began to wane with the arrival of Tipu Sultan in Palakkad. The temple wall was demolished and the bricks were used for constructing a fort. The Jain community later fled to Wayanad district.