Students can apply for various programmes at the central government-controlled and Ahmadabad based National Institute of Design till 4 pm, February 7 on www.admissions.nid.edu/www.nid.edu. The NID has centres in Bengaluru, Gandhi Nagar (Gujarat). These institutes are functioning independently in Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana and Assam.
• BDS (4 years): Those who passed plus two/ 3 years engineering diploma, and those who are taking these exams this year can also apply. Students can specialise in three ways through many branches.
1. Communication design (animation, exhibition film and video graphic).
2. Industrial design (ceramic and glass, furniture and interior, product).
3. Textile design
A total of 125 seats are open for students.
• MDS (Two and a half years): Three years after plus two or four years degree after plus two, four years in designing/ fine arts/ applied arts/architecture diploma. The final year students will also be considered.
For MDS course, branches are there at three centres.
1. Ahmedabad: Animation film, film and video, graphic, ceramic and glass, furniture and interior, products and textiles.
2. Gandhinagar: Photography, toy and games, transportation and automobile, new media, strategic design management, apparel, lifestyle accessory.
3. Bengaluru: Universal, digital game, information, interaction and retail experience.
BDS preliminary aptitude test will be held in 23 centres including Thiruvananthapuram on March 14.
Those who excel in these exams will have the main aptitude test later. Applications can be submitted online, the examination fee is Rs 3000. The amount is Rs 1500 for scheduled caste, scheduled tribe and differently-abled candidates. The schedule is similar to the MDS course. However, the fee to be remitted is the same as that of BDS. Those attempting two courses will have to pay double the amount as fee.