Does studying Sociology help one to build a good career? Sociology graduates get job opportunities with educational institutions and research organisations. government agencies, voluntary organisations, international agencies and big business enterprises also do have opportunities for sociologists.
Sociologists can shine in general social work, work amidst children, youth and the aged people, marketing and public policy research and various such arenas.
Sociology graduates can pursue higher education in India and abroad. In India, several central universities conduct entrance examinations for admission to the MA Sociology course. These institutions include Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University, University of Hyderabad, Pondicherry University, Aligarh Muslim University, Jamia Millia Islamia and Banaras Hindu University.
Besides, various universities and colleges in Kerala, and many institutions outside Kerala to conduct post-graduation courses in Sociology. They include Christ College, Bengaluru; Bharathiyar University, Loyola College, Chennai, Manipal University and University of Mumbai.
Graduates in Sociology can also take up Criminology, Social Work, Philosophy, History, Psychology, Management, Law and such subjects for their post-graduation too.
Few other programmes
• M A Society & Culture, IIT Gandhi Nagar
• M Sc Digital Humanities, IIT Jodhpur
• M A (By Research) Sociology, IIT Bombay (Specialisations including Human Sciences, Linguistics Literature & Performance are also provided.)
• M A Social Entrepreneurship, Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Mumbai
• M A Development Communication & Extension, Delhi University
• M A Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy, Jamia Milia University, Delhi
• M A Development & Labour Studies, JNU
• M Sc Digital Society, IIIT, Bengaluru
• MSW (Youth & Community Development),Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Sriperumbudur.