Indian citizens can now apply for various Fulbright fellowships for 2025-26. The fellowships are among the programmes conducted by the United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) to exchange professionals between India and the US.
The Fulbright-Nehru Master's Fellowships provide bright Indians having leadership skills with an opportunity for higher studies/training in the US so that they can return to India and contribute to the society.
The fellowships are given to talented Indian youths who possess a qualification that is equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in the US with at least 55% marks and a minimum work experience of three years. In other words, Indian citizens should have a four-year bachelor’s degree or post-graduation. Applicants with a three-year bachelor’s degree and full-time PG diploma also will be considered.
Financial aid is given to applicants working in specific sectors for up to two years. They will receive an amount that covers a significant part of the expenses for visa, travel, studies, accommodation and insurance.
Candidates can choose from among the following subjects for the fellowships: Economics, Environment, Higher education administration, International affairs, International law, Journalism, Public Administration, Public health, Urban planning and Gender/Women studies.
Applications will be accepted till 11.59 pm on May 15 on the website https://applyiie.org/ffsp
Those who are provisionally selected will be intimated during early August and interviews will take place later that month. Applicants should have cleared exams such as TOEFL and GRE. A list containing the names of eligible persons will be recommended to the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board in the US.
Candidates who are approved by the Board will be informed about their selection during March / April 2025.
A pre-departure orientation will follow in May / June and a pre-academic training in July / August. Classes will start in August / September 2025.
Applications will be sent on behalf of the candidates to four institutions in the US by IIE (Institute of International Education) in New York, based on the choices mentioned. Candidates need not contact the universities directly.
For details and clarifications, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Doctoral fellowships – The deadline to submit online applications is July 15.
- Post-doctoral research fellowships – July 15.
- Academic and professional excellence fellowships – July 1.
- Visiting chair program at Emory University – September 18.
- Visiting chair program at the University of Massachusetts – September 18.
- Climate fellowships for doctoral research – July 15.
- Climate fellowships for post-doctoral research – July 15.
- Climate fellowships for academic and professional excellence – July 15.
This list is not exhaustive.
Things to note
- Candidates can apply for only one Nehru fellowship.
- Applications cannot be submitted for both Nehru and Kalam fellowships.
- Applications without mandatory documents and those which are plagiarized will be rejected.
- Applications submitted before February 2 this year will not be considered.