Engineering student electrocuted as wire rope grazes overhead line

Engineering student electrocuted as wire rope grazes overhead line
SHARE

Muttom: In a tragic accident here in Idukki district an engineering student was electrocuted after a metal fastener he was tying to remove grazed a live overhead power line.

The dead youth is Melvin, 21, son of document writer Immity Kochu Mathew of Kottakkal, Muttom, near Thodupuzha.

The victim was a final-year student of Electronics and Communications Engineering at the Vidya Engineering College in Thrissur district.

The incident took place when the youth was cleaning wild growth in a family-owned plot just 200 meters from his house.

A coconut tree here was fastened with a wire rope. This rope had snapped and was lying on the ground as Melvin, his mother Merlin, aunt Stella and a relative Rinson came to the plot at 11am.

An overhead 11KV electricity line passes through their plot. The youth received a fatal electric shock as he removed the wire rope. It is suspected the live wire had likely struck the rope in Melvin's hand.

Though the local residents rushed the youth to a private hospital in Kunnamkulam, his life could not be saved.

Melvin's funeral is scheduled for 4pm on Wednesday at the St Thomas Forane Church, Muttom.

MORE IN IDUKKI
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.