Alappuzha: A fire broke out at the warehouse of Kerala Medical Services Corporation Ltd (KMSCL) near Vandanam Medical College Hospital here on Friday night. Reports said the rooms where the bleaching powder was stored had caught fire.
The fire was extinguished before it could spread to where the medicines were kept. The windows and ACs of the main building were completely gutted.
According to sources, the fire safety system in the building was dysfunctional.
In the past two weeks, there have been three fire incidents in KMSCL godowns in the state. In the wake of the recent fire incident in Thiruvananthapuram, inspections were being conducted at the Alappuzha godown.
The medicines, which were being distributed to government hospitals across the district, were stored in a large building attached to the godown.
Three units of the fire force from Alappuzha extinguished the fire. No causalities were reported.