Osaka to miss French Open with hamstring injury

Big blow
The hamstring issue had prompted Osaka to withdraw from the final of the Western & Southern Open in the run-up to the US Open. File photo: Reuters
SHARE

Japan's Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the upcoming French Open with a hamstring injury, she said on Thursday.

The 22-year-old had her left hamstring taped when she battled back against Victoria Azarenka in the US Open final in New York on Saturday to win her third Grand Slam title.

"Unfortunately, I won't be able to play the French Open this year," the world No. 3 wrote on social media in a message she also posted in Japanese.

"My hamstring is still sore so I won't have time to prepare for the clay - these two tournaments came too close to each other for me this time.

"I wish the organizers and players all the best."

The French Open will be held from September 27 to October 11 after being moved from its usual late May-June slot due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The hamstring issue had prompted Osaka to withdraw from the final of the Western & Southern Open in the run-up to the US Open but it did not appear to hamper her at Flushing Meadows.

Osaka made headlines in New York as much for her performances on court as for her commitment to social justice causes.

For each of her US Open matches she wore a different mask that carried the name of a Black American, aiming to highlight racial injustice in the United States to a wider audience.

The withdrawal of Osaka, who has never advanced past the third round at Roland Garros, comes as another blow to the tournament after world No. 1 Ash Barty of Australia said she would not be defending her title due to COVID-19 concerns.

On the men's side, Roger Federer will not compete as he continues to recover from knee surgery.

Osaka's absence would improve Serena Williams's chances of winning a record-tying 24th Grand Slam title if the American chooses to play. The 38-year-old has pulled out of the Italian Open with an Achilles issue.

The French Tennis Federation said on Thursday it would allow 5,000 spectators per day following a recent spike in COVID-19 cases in the country. It had previously said the claycourt major would permit a maximum of 11,500 fans per day.

MORE IN TENNIS
SHOW MORE
The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.