When most stars planned their holidays abroad, Sonakshi Sinha chose Kerala to bring in the New Year. Her insta feeds detailed her Kerala trip, making the most of the backwaters and houseboats. Though the location was not mentioned, from the pictures it seemed like her destination was Alappuzha.
In November Sonakshi had visited Maldives, according to her Instagram stories. She had shared the joy of finally becoming a certified Scuba diver. “Ever since I tried snorkeling, I had grown closer to the sea, now I am interested in exploring more underwater adventures,” Sonakshi had written.
Here goes our 15 things to do if you are planning a Kerala visit
1. A backwater cruise: Feast on the palm laden landscape, wildlife and house and villages that line the backwaters. You can make it a great romantic getaway, along with some gorgeous local fish delicacies.
2. Ayurvedic treatment: Some fabulous resorts and spas which offer superb traditional therapies, including a detox diet.
3. Watch Kathakali live: Try the Cochin Cultural Centre or the Kerala Kathakali centre for a performance. You can also go for the option of a Fort Kochi tour that always culminates with a Kathakali performance.
4. Theyyam tour: You can visit Kannur or Kasaragod to catch these performances live but they are seasonal.
5. Learn Kalaripayattu: Kerala’s ancient Martial art form, with roots that can be traced back to 2000 BC. Try the Kadathanadan Kalari Centre for a 60-minute fighting demonstration.
6. A snake boat race and their elaborate feast which comes in Monsoon season. It's akin to an Olympic race where 140-foot-long canoe-like boats hold 110 rowers and they come together to race along the interior rivers.
7. Explore Fort Kochi for its historic monuments, Jewish synagogues, quaint cafes, Chinese fishing nets and Mattancherry palaces.
8. Mural paintings on the walls of temples, churches, and palaces date back to the ninth century. You can see them at Krishnapuram Palace near Kayamkulam, Mattancherry Palace in Kochi, the murals of the Shiva Temple in Ettumanoor, Padmanabhan temple in Trivandrum and Vadakkumnatha temple in Thrissur.
9. Watch the waterfalls at Athirapally and Vazhachal
10.Explore the food, from an elaborate Onam feast to puttu, Kadala curry to the non-vegetarian spread at Toddy shops.
11. Visit elephant sanctuaries and try elephant rides
12. Buy their whole spices (pepper, elaichi to cardamom)
13. Visit the Bekal fort in Kasaragod and explore their beaches
14. Tiger trail in Periyar
15. River rafting in Kuruva islands