Kerala’s Kashmir is all set to welcome her visitors with a veritable feast from Nature. Munnar is at its charming best with its misty mountains, grasslands, and hills, and tourists cannot be happier. Considering the temperature dipped an all-time low last week, throw in your best woollens and get ready to experience Munnar. Considering the tourist footfalls, it does look like the corona has not really taken a toll on tourism in this part of the world. And KSTRC is coming up with some super offers this season.
Cheap rates, breezy ride
Munnar KSTRC has come up with a special package that will take you on a budget-free tour around Munnar, Marayoor, and Kanthaloor. And you can dodge the exorbitant hotel rates in this package.
Here is what the package is all about
KSTRC Munnar Travel package will be available earlier this month. So, this is how it is going to be charted. Ticket rates per person will be Rs 250. According to the KSRTC in charge inspector ever since the package started, there has been a mad rush of visitors.
The bus starts from the KSTRC stand at 9 am. It will stop for a while at Top station, Kundala Dam, Echo Point, Tea Museum, Tea Factory, Mattupetty, Botanical Flower Garden, etc. Kundala Dam will be the lunch stopover. The tourists can order lunch from Tata’s restaurant and the waiters will be there to take the orders. Food will be charged extra. And post-lunch they can laze around or go for a boat ride. Arrangements have been made with the Tata group of hotels for the tourists to take a rest if needed. By 5 pm the tourists will be dropped back at the KSRTC bus station. This idea is the brainchild of KSTRC MD Biju Prabhakar IAS.
Explore Marayoor and Kanthaloor as well
They have planned to explore Marayoor and Kanthaloor in this package. The special service is on Sundays and the ticket rates per person will be Rs 300. Ettam Mile, Marayoor Chandanakadukal, Muniyarakal are the other places included in this package. The trip starts at 9 am and ends at 6 pm.
Guaranteed safety at nights
Budgeting is such that the tourists can cosily spend their night in the AC sleeper buses. There are 4 buses with 16 beds available for this purpose. Each sleeper birth will cost you a mere 100 bucks. A blanket will cost an extra Rs 50. If you are coming as a group, you can book the entire bus for Rs 1600.
“Women travellers needn’t worry about their safety,” assures Savi George. “Women can stay alone without fear and we have taken strict measures to take care of their safety. There will be a security personal at night, along with a Station Master and CLR on duty.”
Initially, the lodging was arranged with two buses but with the rising demand of tourists, they added two more buses. Once you pay at the Munnar Depo Counter, you can hop on to the bus at 5 pm. Washroom facilities are there. Those booking sleeper buses will get Rs 50 off in the ticket rate.
How to book
Currently, the booking facility will not be available online or by phone. For that, you need to approach the KSRTC stand directly. For information call the KSRTC number (04865 230201).
And if you are planning a second trip to Munnar we have a few suggestions
1) Visit Eravikulam National Park: It is a beautiful sanctuary with some rare species of animals and birds. Famous for the endangered Nilgiri Tahr, this National park is in the Kannan Devan hills of Munnar and the forest is spread over an area of 97 sq km divided into, core area, the buffer area, and tourism area.
2) Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary: Also called Thekkady Bird Sanctuary, it is located 73 km from Munnar and is home to a variety of local and migratory birds – crimson-fronted barbet, crested serpent eagle, peninsular bay owl, fairy bluebird, and rose billed roller to name a few. Malabar grey hornbill, Sri Lanka frogmouth, and Indian hornbill and Nilgiri wood pigeon can also be spotted.
3) Lakkam waterfalls are on the Munnar-Marayoor route and are encased by vaga trees and gushing cascades. A fabulous picnic spot.
4) Street shopping: You simply need to buy some of the local tea and coffee, stock up on their spices and aromatic oils. We would recommend eucalyptus oil, lemongrass, and citriodora (ideal for body and joint pains). Grab some Elaichi flavoured tea or just freshly ground coffee. Try their outlets of Tata Tea Museum and Kolukkumalai Tea Estate. And may we also suggest buying some of their delicious homemade chocolates.
5) Rose Garden Munnar: Spread across 2 acres of land, this garden is home not just to various varieties of roses, but there are some fine varieties of spices, flowers, fruits, and trees like litchi, cauliflower, bananas, and strawberries. But the highlight obviously is the rose species. The beautiful garden also houses garden fresh vegetables, seasonal tropical fruits & delicious natural honey along with farm-grown coffee & tea. Rose Gardens provides you with an eco-friendly homestay, from where you could enjoy the whole of Munnar. With hiking trails & trekking areas through scenic yet rustic routes, this place truly lets you enjoy nature at its absolute best.
6) Mount Carmel Church: Established in 1898, this first Catholic Church in Munnar is said to be an initiative of Father Alfonse and post his demise his body was buried in this sacred church. Some peace and quiet? Best place.
7) Wonder Valley Adventure Park: A paradise for adventure enthusiasts, this amusement park in Munnar is a beautiful natural terrain theme park that incorporates several attractions and activities for you to indulge in. You can enjoy the river dancing area, a wave pool, a blissful waterfall, Bungee jumping, and nature trails.
8) Marayoor: Explore the aromatic sandalwood forest in Marayoor that will soothe your soul and make you want to unwind amidst the lush green surroundings.