There are not many reputed institutes that offer high–quality design courses even at the national level. Meanwhile, Kerala has at least 3 institutes that offer four-year Bachelor of Design (B Des) courses. These institutes are perfect for those who have a flair for designing.
1. Kerala Institute of Design, Chandanathoppu, Kollam is a government-controlled aided college. There are 30 government seats here.
2. College of Architecture, Mulayara, Thiruvananthapuram, has a total of 60 seats. Half of the seats at this self-financing private college belong to the government while the rest are management seats.
3. Saintgits College of Engineering, Pathamuttom, Kottayam is a self–financing private college. Out of the 30 seats, 15 are government seats while the rest are allotted by the management.
The semester fee at these three institutes are Rs 75,000. Rs 10,000 has to be paid as deposit which is refundable.
The entrance test has been scheduled from 10 am to 11.40 am on 9 July at the centres in Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Kottayam, Ernakulam and Kozhikode districts.
There will be 100 multiple choice questions from topics ranging from Social and Basic Sciences, 10 questions of school standard, general knowledge (20 questions), English (20 questions), numerical ability and analytical aptitude (20) and design awareness (30).
The candidates have to answer the questions in under 100 minutes. There is no negative mark for the wrong answers.
The prospectus could be downloaded from the website. The procedure for application too is given on the website. The LBS Centre for Science and Technology would conduct the allotment after the publication of rank list and option submission.
Securing a spot in the rank list of the entrance exam conducted by the LBS Centre is mandatory for admission to the government seats. Meanwhile, candidates scoring a rank in one of the following tests would be considered for admission to the management seats:
1. NATA - National Aptitude Test in Architecture conducted by the Council of Architecture.
Visit www.nata.in for more details.
2. UCEED – Under-Graduate Common Entrance Test Examination in Design is conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai. Website: www.uceed.iitb.ac.in/2022.
3. NID DAT – It is an aptitude test held by the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad; https://admissions.nid.edu.
4. NIFT – Entrance exam conducted by the National Institute of Fashion Technology. Website: www.nift.ac.in.
A rank in the entrance exam conducted by the LBS too would be considered for admission to management seats.
Reservation is available as per the guidelines of the Kerala government.
Selection via LBS
The LBS Centre for Science and Technology has been entrusted to conduct the entrance exam for admission in the 2022–23 academic year.
Address: LBS Centre for Science and Technology, Palayalam, Thiruvananthapuram 695033;
Phone: 0471 2560327; website: www.lbscentre.kerala.gov.in.
There will be an application fee of Rs 1,200. Candidates of Scheduled Caste/Tribe categories need to pay Rs 600. The application fee could be paid online.
Those who have passed Plus-Two in any stream with at least 45% marks could apply for the entrance test. Meanwhile, candidates from the reserved categories require 40%.