Thiruvananthapuram: A whopping Rs 1,773 crore has been allotted for the education sector in Kerala as per the State Budget for 2023-24. Finance Minister K N Balagopal made this announcement while presenting in the Budget in the Legislative Assembly on Friday (Feb 2).
The major heads for the education outlay include:
• Rs 95 cr for improving basic infrastructure of government schools across the state.
• Rs 140 cr allocation for free uniforms.
• Rs 344 cr provision for free mid-day meals in schools.
• Rs 816 cr for higher education and technical education sectors.
• Rs 98 cr for government colleges in the state.
• Rs 20 cr for new nursing colleges across the state.
• Funding in order to increase the salary of guest lecturers.
• Allocation to increase the number of fellowships under Kerala Lalithakala Akademi.
• Money for new pre-metric scheme for Other Backward Class students.