Population studies results are essential for planning development work at the national level. Mumbai’s International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) is a fine institution that has been doing Higher Educational Research in this field since 1956. www.iipsindia.ac.in
This institute which was started with the sponsorship of the United Nations Organisation, the Indian Government, and Sir Dorabjee Tata Trust has University status. Now it is under the control of the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Post Graduates, especially those who have taken statistics and Maths as optional subjects are invited to apply for various programmes online till April 2nd. You will get a monthly fellowship.
Key pointers below
1) MA MSc in Population Studies: 2 years. 55 seats. Those who passed any bachelor’s degree with 55% marks can apply. They shouldn’t be above 25 years on June 30th, 2023. Monthly fellowship of Rs 5000.
2) MSC Biostatistics and Demography: 2 years. 55 seats. They should have passed Biostatistics/Health Statistics/Maths, Statistics degree with 55% marks. A summation of two full papers in Maths or Statistics is sufficient. They shouldn’t be above 25 years on June 30th, 2023. Monthly fellowship of Rs 5000.
3) MPS (Master of Population studies): 1 year. 55 seats. They should have passed Masters with 55% in either Maths, Stats, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Social work, Anthropology, Geography, Political Science, Rural Development, Biostatistics, Development studies, Health statistics, Population studies, or Population education. Masters graduates who have 2 years of experience in the population/health sector can apply. They shouldn’t be above 28 years old on June 30th, 2023. Monthly fellowship of Rs 5000.
4) Ph.D. in Population Studies/ Biostatistics & Demography: 2-6 years (this is also the duration for submitting thesis; not for fellowship). They shouldn’t be above 30 years on June 30th, 2023. They will get a fellowship at the central rate. Check the admission bulletin to check the entrance qualifications.
5) Part-time Ph.D.: 4-6 years. No age limit. 2 seats. No fellowship.
6) Post-doctoral fellowship: 5 seats. 1 year. They shouldn’t be above 40 years on June 30th, 2023. A monthly scholarship of 50k as well as house rent. Admissions are offline. You can apply till June 30th for this alone.
Those belonging to the reservation category require 50% marks. Final-year students who will receive their results by September 30th can apply. There are reservations for the Schedule category, backward, disabled, and economically backward categories.
For Ph.D. they will receive Rs 31,000 for the first two years, and Rs 35,000 monthly scholarships for 3rd and 4th year. Not just that they will receive a yearly grant of Rs 10,000 for the first two years and Rs 20,500 in the third year.
The application processing fee is Rs 1000. For the scheduled caste and the disabled category, it will be Rs 250. For backward communities and the economically backward category, it will be Rs 500.
The online exams for the first four programmes will be on April 30th. Classes will commence on July 11th. Reasonable fee charges. Hostel facilities are there for Postgraduate students. There are remote programs as well as programmes for International students at IIPS (International Institute for Population Studies). Details on the website.