Numerous employment opportunities offering a decent pay in India as well as abroad await youngsters who acquire a scientifically-approved qualification in training hearing-impaired people. A major institution in this sector is the All-India Institute of Speech and Hearing in Mysuru (www.aiishmysore.in). Here is a glance at the programmes offered by the Institute-
Admission through an entrance test
The application fee of these courses is Rs 900. The fee for Scheduled Caste/Tribe and differently-abled applicants is Rs 700. Applications could be submitted online till May 31 and the computer-based entrance test will take place on June 25. The courses are:
• BASLP (Bachelor of Audiology & Speech Language Pathology)
• MSc Audiology / Speech Language Pathology.
Programmes without an entrance test
A hard copy of the application should be sent to the Director of the Institute so that it reaches by July 31 for admission to these courses. The application fee is Rs 625. For Scheduled Caste/Tribe and differently-abled applicants, the fee is Rs 400.
• BEd Special Education (Hearing Impairment)
• MEd Special Education (Hearing Impairment)
Admission through entrance test conducted by Rehabilitation Council of India
The Mysuru Institute offers all the three courses which admit students based on the ‘All India Online Aptitude Test (AIOAT) conducted by RCI (Rehabilitation Council of India). Students pursuing these courses will receive a monthly stipend of Rs 250.
• Diploma in Hearing Aid & Ear Mould Technology. There are 28 seats for this one-year course.
• Diploma in Early Childhood Special Education (Hearing Impairment). The duration of this course also is one year and the number of seats too is 28.
• Diploma in Hearing, Language & Speech. This is yet another one-year course and there are 30 seats at the Mysuru campus of the Institute. In addition, each study centre has 28 seats.
For details of these courses, check the website www.rehabcouncil.nic.in