Sanju credits wife Charu for keeping him going

Sanju credits wife Charu for keeping him going
Sanju, who can unsettle attacks with explosive hits and cheeky shots, says a fair share of credit goes to his wife Charu for keeping him motivated in times of distress.Photo: R S Gopan

Sanju V Samson, who clawed his way back to the Indian cricket squad recently, is a man of few words. His humble personality off the field contrasts sharply with his on-field personality where he could activate his aggressive switch at will.

Sanju, who can unsettle attacks with explosive hits and cheeky shots, says a fair share of credit goes to his wife Charu for keeping him motivated in times of distress. Somebody who has not let success go to his head, the stylish right-hander speaks about his second call-up to the Indian team in a terse, straightforward manner.

Excerpts from the interview:

Charu, my lucky charm

Charu’s presence is also a reason for my return to the national team. Life becomes more peaceful and fulfilling when you marry somebody whom you love. These factors definitely have a positive influence on my performance on the field. However, I believe cricketing and family life should be kept separate.

Sticking to the basics

After the last IPL I did some serious introspection. Digging deep into the maze of statistics, I found that in every 10 innings that I have played, I could score big on one or two occasions. It’s not because I’m lazy or irresponsible. That is my game and I don’t want to change it. I scored 212 runs in a Vijay Hazare Trophy match recently, but got out cheaply in the very next match. That’s how it goes. My intention is to play my natural, instinctive game banking on my skillset. It is difficult to get a consistent run when you play in that manner. I don’t want to reorganise my game for the sake of consistency. I’ll continue to back my natural game and if I find any flaws I just try to correct it.

Strict fitness regimen

Cricket nowadays requires a high level of fitness. To maintain a high fitness level, one needs to work for it constantly. Most of the players in the current Indian squad are supremely fit. Every day I spend about four hours in the ground. I’m very strict about my exercise regimen. I have to compete with myself to raise my level of fitness. Keeping that in mind, I spend hours at the gym to get fit.

A better version of myself

I started playing better when I became conscious of my skills. My role is to go out there and express myself without being cautious of losing the wicket. That is the only way to dominate the bowlers. As a person and a cricketer, I have improved a lot over the past four years.

Hard work pays off

I have been working hard to return to the Indian team. To be honest, I have even reduced my sleep quota. Speculation was rife that I would be included in the Indian squad which toured the West Indies some months ago. But that didn’t happen.

Family makes a world of difference

I’m indebted to my father for prodding me to take up cricket at a young age. My mother is also a source of strength. They had even made arrangements for me to do net sessions at home.

Sources of strength

Life of a cricketer is a mixed bag of heartaches and highs. We get through hard times with the help of those who love and support us. I’m thankful to my family and friends who have stood by me through thick and thin. Coach Biju George and the KCA (Kerala Cricket Association) officials have also helped me immensely. When there were unwanted controversies in the past, I let my bat do the talking.

Role models

I’m grateful to Rahul sir (Rahul Dravid) for his guidance and blessings. He has played a key role in shaping my career and helped me realise my potential. He doesn’t talk much, but his words are so powerful. I had phoned Gautam Gambhir after the team for the Bangladesh T20 series was announced. He’s an experienced cricketer having played for the country for over a decade. He congratulated me and gave some valuable tips on how to carry myself as a professional cricketer both on and off the field.

Favourite knocks

The unbeaten 212 in the Vijay Hazare Trophy, the two centuries in the Indian Premier League, and the 91 against South Africa 'A'. 

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.