CUET 2022: Note these tips while preparing for General Test

The Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUET) is for admission to the graduate courses in central universities across the country.

The computer-based test has four Sections. Section 1A and 1B comprise languages. Section 2 is on the domain specific subject. (Candidates have 27 subjects to choose from.) The General Test is the Section 3 of the entrance.

There aren’t any models or questions from previous years as this would be the inaugural year of the national-level entrance exam.

However, it is hoped that the CUET will be held on the model of the erstwhile Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET) that was conducted last year for admission to 12 central universities including Central University of Kerala. Interested candidates may practise using the question papers of this exam

As reported earlier applications for the test can be made up to 9 pm on May 31. The National Testing Agency (NTA) extended the application deadline on May 27. The exact date of the test has not been announced. It will be conducted in two shifts, morning and afternoon in the first and second week of July.

General Test
The General Test lasts for an hour. The candidates have to attend at least 60 questions from among 75 questions.

Even though General Test isn’t required for all the courses it should be attended for securing admission to 60% of the courses. However, anyone sitting for the remaining 40% courses will get questions on General Awareness topics in the question papers of their chosen subjects.

For instance, if a candidate wishes for an admission to BSc Physics (Honours) course at Delhi University, he/she has to mandatorily select any language from section 1 (A) and domain specific subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Maths from section 2. They need not write the General Test. However, there will be questions from General Awareness in the question papers of domain specific subjects.

The General Test would mainly have questions from General Knowledge, Current Affairs, General Mental Ability, Numerical Ability, Data Interpretation and Logical and Analytical Reasoning.

How to prepare for General Test?
The candidates should have good knowledge about the current affairs and significant events that happened nationally and internationally last year. There may be questions from constitutional amendments, new laws passed by the Parliament and the recent contracts signed by India.

Meanwhile, General Awareness will cover history, polity, geography and legal studies. The candidates should have a general awareness about India and its various features.

Applicants could rely on newspaper reports, publications and yearbooks to prepare. Online website and portals too are good sources of information. Questions from events that happens at least a month before setting the question paper could be expected.

For other subjects, multi–tasking books and guides of Staff Selection Commission’s exams and for posts that require higher secondary as minimum eligibility could be used.

As Plus-Two is the minimum eligibility for applying for CUET, questions are likely to be of that standard.

Time management is significant while writing the General Test section. It is important to attempt each question without wasting time.   

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.