5G labs for 4 edu institutions in Kerala; Centre to provide 80% of fund required

Representational Image. Photo: Shutterstock/ Alexander Supertramp

New Delhi: The Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), the National Institute of Technology (NIT) in Calicut, the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) in Thiruvananthapuram, and IIT Palakkad are among the 100 selected academic institutions across the country that were awarded the advanced 5G labs. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the same while inaugurating the 7th edition of the India Mobile Congress being held here till October 29 with the theme ‘Global Digital Innovation’.

The Central Government will provide 80% of the total fund needed to set up the labs, while the individual institutions should bear the remaining 20% (around Rs 10 lakh). The 5G labs will be used to develop applications such as smart classrooms, precision farming, intelligent transport systems, and healthcare applications. The institutions that own the lab instruments need to provide the necessary land, electricity, and internet access.

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.