Shawarma has gained popularity as Kerala’s favourite fast food within a short period of time. However, the Middle Eastern food item has recently attracted notoriety after it had caused severe food poisoning and even death.
The method of storing and cooking the meat is significant in shawarma making. Uncooked meat is the breeding ground of bacteria and virus that releases deadly toxins. When meat is cooked on a spit or a rotisserie, it is likely that a part of the meat remains undercooked. Bacteria breed on this part while releasing toxins that may even result in death.
The salads that are served along side shawarma too could be harmful. The customers should be patient while waiting for your shawarma order. The meat needs time to cook thoroughly. As shawarma is a food item that is often cooked right in front of the customer, the person who eats the food is responsible for its safety as much as the persons who cooks it. If you feel that the meat is not cooked properly, then do not eat the shawarma.
Even though the customer might not be able to check whether the meat is stored and cooked in hygienic conditions, they can always reject the food or leave the restaurant if they feel that it is not safe to eat there. The customers have the right to demand clean food at the restaurants. Moreover, the cooks and the servers too should handle food in a clean and hygienic manner. They should wear gloves and shouldn’t touch unclean surfaces or areas after wearing the gloves.
Shawarma is safe for consumption if it is cooked properly. However, rather than ordering it via online food delivery apps, it would be wise to see and make sure that shawarma is cooked properly in clean surroundings. If cooked nicely, shawarma is a delicious food item that is a store house of protein.