The Kerala government has imposed total lockdown in the state for the weekend to curb coronavirus spread.
The restrictions will be akin to that of a triple lockdown. Only a handful of shops and services deemed essential will be permitted to open on the two days.
Strict action will be taken against those who wander needlessly or gather in crowds, the Kerala Police has warned.
The Police has set up checkpoints at strategic locations in each city to ensure that lockdown restrictions are followed.
Containment zones in the state will be cut off completely. To ensure that people remain in their homes here, the Police will use drones.
All essential items will be brought to each home, the Police said.
The test positivity rate (TPR) in Kerala is 13.29. The State had earlier indicated that relaxations could only be considered once the TPR falls below 10.
Kerala is under a state-wide lockdown until June 16.
Restrictions & relaxations:
• Central-state offices in the essential service category and corporations can function.
• Industries, companies and other institutions falling under the essential services category can function round-the-clock. Their employees should carry their identity card.
• Travel permission for officials of telecom, internet companies and the vehicles of these institutions.
• Patients seeking medical care, their bystanders and those travelling to and from vaccination centres should keep their identity card.
• Shops selling groceries, food, fruits, and vegetables; milk booths, shops selling fish and meat, and toddy shops can function from 7am to 7pm. Home delivery will also be allowed.
• Parcels will NOT be allowed for restaurants and bakeries. However, home delivery is permitted. Timing from 7am to 7pm.
• The KSRTC will not operate long-distance bus services. Train-flight services will operate. Private vehicles, taxis, and public transport can take passengers home from airports and railway stations. Travel documents should be produced.
• Wedding, house-warming and other ceremonies should be registered on the Covid Jagratha portal. Functions should be held following the Covid protocol with a limited number of people.
• Those in the construction sector can work following Covid protocols. The nearest police station should be informed in advance.
• The Police will charge criminal cases against those violating Covid protocols and quarantine norms. Families who aid this too will be charged, the Police warned.
Kerala saw 14,233 new Covid cases on Friday. With this, the number of active cases in the state fell to 1,34,001. The state also reported 15,355 recoveries. A total of 1,07,096 samples were tested in the last 24 hours.