Some of the most active Facebook and Instagram accounts users tend to completely ignore updating their LinkedIn profile. Maybe there are not aware of the extensive career possibilities it offers. It is often quickly created while job hunting only to get ignored once you get a job of your liking. And in case you are not aware, most of the companies these days give more importance to your LinkedIn profile than your CV. The difference between the two is in their endorsement. While you can add any kind of real or fabricated qualifications and details to your CV, that is practically impossible in your LinkedIn profile, which needs validation from other sources. It is this transparency that makes LinkedIn a preferred tool for employee verification.
If you keep your LinkedIn profile constantly updated, it gives you better job opportunities as well as innovative business ideas. But yes, you cannot approach it like you would approach other social media platforms. Jaison Thomas who became this LinkedIn Top Voice explains how to use the platform effectively.
Jaison Thomas who is one of the founders of Blusteak Digital Media is the only one from Kerala to have found a place in the list. Yearly LinkedIn includes 20 people on the list. In this list are the profiles of those who need to be followed on LinkedIn, apart from being popular in India.
With more than 10 years of experience in their respective fields and those who have an active engagement on LinkedIn are the ones being listed here. They were picked by the LinkedIn editors after a lot of research.
And these are tips given by Jaison to better your LinkedIn profile.
• Keyword is the key: The headline which mentions your bio under your profile name is especially important. Provide keywords that describe your line of work. It is easier for those who are searching for such job profiles to reach you. Since I work in digital marketing, I have added tags like Sales, Branding to my headline.
• Profile pic and cover pic: Post a pleasant, clear, and smiling face as your profile pic. There is no need to put a passport size photo as your LinkedIn profile. The colours given on your cover picture are also particularly important. Add black if you want to lend a serious note to your profile. Or go for blue. The cover picture should contain your name, designation, and line of work, subjects, etc.
• Education: It is better to give the University names than College names as outside Kerala people might not be familiar with the college names.
• Recommendation: This is someone writing a post appreciating/ recommending your capabilities. More the number of such posts, the better your credibility, and prospects. There is nothing wrong with asking someone to post a note of recommendation. But make sure only to ask those who know you personally. Companies prefer recommendations to endorsements.
• Difference in likes: It is better not to compare LinkedIn likes to the ones you get on other social media platforms. 50 likes on LinkedIn are equal to 400 likes on Instagram. Because the ones who liked your profile have really sat down and read your profile and not just glanced at it. No one checks LinkedIn for fun.
• Correct content: It is advisable to keep your LinkedIn content to 4 or 5 subjects you are good at. Make sure to provide your follower with a piece of new information as much as possible. Everyone is here to learn new information. This is no space for political and social discussions like you do on Facebook. Mutual respect is key. Avoid posting personal and family photographs or such details. But in case you have an interesting story behind such photographs, do write that. Weekly 4-5 posts are recommended.
• Encouragement: When you are on LinkedIn it is important to keep encouraging and appreciating other profiles. Your recommendation is as important as the one you are giving. And it also shows your big heart. When someone else likes your post, you should remember that it is also reaching other people’s networks as well.
• Link Sharing: If you share a link to your blog or someone else’s article directly on LinkedIn, there will not be much of a reach. But if you write a brief post in appreciation of that article and then share the link in the comments, that would be more beneficial. No social media platform encourages outside links.
• Show the work: It is through the merit of your posts that companies and other prospective employers will seek your out. Students can post their projects and other completed certificate courses on LinkedIn. That will get a lot of encouragement as well as give the impression that you are constantly updating yourself.
• Description: When you are writing your educational qualification and Job experience make sure to give a brief mention of your designation, responsibilities, and line of work at these places.
• Paragraph: Avoid long paragraphs when you are posting on LinkedIn. People might simply skip such profiles. Instead, go for a 2 or 3 line paragraph and then give space and continue with the same format in the next paragraph. The white space between these paragraphs will intrigue them enough to check your profile.
• Name audio: There is a provision to add a voice note phonetically pronouncing your name in the profile. This will be immensely helpful when foreigners search your profiles.
• Live Video: Live video features are also available for select users. But again, that should not be used like you would use your Facebook live, with a casual ‘Hi’ and ‘Bye.’ Before going live, you should have a definite plan in mind. You can also try this live by roping another person into this conversation. Video content will improve your LinkedIn engagement.
• Company Page: If you have a company, it will be feasible to start a special company profile apart from your personal profile. These days after a website link, most people check for the company’s LinkedIn page. And make sure it is correctly updated.
• Premium is not mandatory: Though the LinkedIn Premium LinkedIn profile has many facilities students need not really opt for it as it is pricey. Those who have a job and are looking out for better career prospects can take a Premium LinkedIn, which costs 2,400 monthly. Through this, you can access the people who visited your page, job insights, LinkedIn learning platform, etc. through this facility. It is also a great way for businessmen to find their clients. Through Shield which is paid service, you can also find out about LinkedIn analytics. But again, beginners won’t need this.